SVAE began as part of the 10-grade Shenandoah Valley Academy in 1908. The elementary school moved from building to building until 1976 when a new building was constructed on the site of the current school. Since then, SVAE has grown several times—adding classrooms, offices, a music room, and a library.
At the beginning, most students lived in New Market. Today, we have students from Basye, Broadway, Dayton, Edinburg, Grottoes, Harrisonburg, Luray, McDowell, Mount Jackson, New Market, Quicksburg, Shenandoah, Stanley, Strasburg, and Timberville.